Thursday, July 29, 2010

What comes from a cow....

.....MILK TART :) :) :)

I generally enjoy eating Milk Tart but have never atually gone to the store to buy one (which reminds me - Woolies now sell Milk Tarts - I haven't tried them yet - let me know what they're like ;))

Anyway back to the matter at hand...I made my own Milk Tart or Melk Tart (is it tart or tert)!!! I got the recipe from a colleague at work, who I think got the recipe from The Hulletts website? Took about half an hour to make? No baking is needed for this tart (I laugh eveytime I say that - TART haha)

Considering it was made so quickly, it was really tasty - REALLY TASTY :) Soft, smooth and creamy like milk tart should be :)

Crumb crust made with 1 packet of crushed Tennis biscuits and 125g butter, melted.

FILLING:
500ml (2 cups) milk
Piece of cinnamon stick
60 - 100ml Huletts White Sugar, depending on personal taste
2 eggs
45ml (3 Tablespoons) cornflour
45ml (3 Tablespoons) flour
3ml (½ teaspoon) vanilla essence
30ml (2 Tablespoons) butter
Cinnamon and sugar for sprinkling

The really good part
  1. Heat the milk with the piece of stick cinnamon to just under boiling point. - I used two cinnamon sticks
  2. Meanwhile, lightly beat the eggs with the sugar, then add the cornflour and flour. - with an electric beater
  3. Pour the hot milk onto this mixture, stirring rapidly. Return the mixture to the heat and cook, stirring till the mixture becomes very thick. Thorough stirring is important to prevent the mixture from catching on the bottom of the pan, and to prevent lumps.
  4. Off the heat, add the essence and add the butter. Stir well till the butter is melted.
  5. Pour the mixture into the prepared tart crust. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
{SIDE NOTES}

Soo, the recipe didn't say anything about greasing your pie dish before placing the tenis biscuits in the dish?? Guess that's common sense though? Well last night, I lacked that common sense and I struggled to get the base (of the tart) out of the dish this am! haha

Mixing the actual tart mixture -
U need strong arms and quick movement to make sure that the mixture doesn't stick to the base of your pan OR get lumpy. Next time I make this tart, I will have my blender whisk close by - less of a workout :)

Enjoy! And let me know how your turns out...





 

No comments: