Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Oh my heaven!!!


I have this unbelievable love and "lust" for potatoes! I could eat potatoes all day everyday..any which way - boiled, baked, fried, steamed, mashed, curried and a whole host of other ways!! I came across the following recipe a few weeks ago and decided to give it a try, the same night I got the recipe.

Now, I'm not a fan of camembert cheese, but I love cheese! And I figured that Cheese, all stringy and tasty, would go so well with my 1st love - POTATOES!!!! It took me more than an hour to make this dish (prep time and cooking time) but it was OH SO worth the wait!!! I had this dish for 2 consecutive days and my heart broke when I had to throw out the last little bit of pie! Anyway I hope u enjoy this pie as much as I enjoyed making it and eating it!!! :)


6 large potatoes, peeled and cooked (I used 10 potatoes cos mine were kinda small and I LOVE potatoes ;))
2 large onions, finely sliced
1 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
2 rolls puff pastry
1 1/2 cup grated mature cheddar
2 rounds camembert, sliced
Salt, pepper & paprika to taste
125ml cream
2 Tbs onion soup powder
1 egg, beaten

In a pan, fry the onions in some oil until soft and golden.

Add the garlic and fry for another 2 minutes.

Remove and set aside.

Thinly slice the potatoes, and set aside.

Roll the pastry out to about 2-3mm thick.

Place on a suitable baking tray.

Spread the onions over the pastry leaving a 2-3cm border free.

Scatter the Cheddar cheese over the onions followed by a layer of sliced potatoes.

Season each layer of potato well with salt, pepper and paprika.

Layer the camembert over the potatoes, followed by another layer of potatoes.

Season well.

Mix the soup powder with the cream and beat until smooth.

Slowly pour over the potatoes and bring the edges of the pastry up.

Roll out the remaining roll of pastry and lay over the pie.

Crimp the edges and brush with the beaten egg.

Bake in the oven (180°c) for 15-20 minutes until the pastry is golden and crisp.

Some notes:
- I don't think two rolls of puff pastry are necessary! Yes having pastry at the bottom of the pie is great but you don't have to use it.
- Make sure that your potatoes are cooked thoroughly cooked through. I made the mistake of parboiling them thinking that they would cook faster in the oven (mistake!! so I had to bake my pie longer than the prescribed time shown above)
- I tried to be smart and used a whole carton of cream (it was really creamy and great but while it was baking in the oven, some of the cream 'escaped' from the dish :)
- Don't be shy with ur cheese!! Or the paprika! :)

Enjoy with a green salad if u're feeling guilty about this indulgent dish! I never had that feeling *cough cough* hahaha

Hope you enjoy this dish as much as I did! I will most def b making it again!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hEY WENA COOKER! Nice i like your recipe and everyfing-cant say i'll make coz isn that's y u my sister! Well Well done *zuma/german chancellor tone*

NuNuZa said...

Yes thank u Zuma!:) It took me such a long time to decide what background etc etc but I know ill probably change it again :)