Friday, October 14, 2011

Asian Style Cooking for the Weekend

Sweet and Sour is not something I generally order when I go out to eat, but I figured that by making it at home, I could control the tastes. And I was right.



This quick and easy to follow recipe is definitely a WINNER

What's Needed
1 cup long grain rice (I used tastic)
1 Tablespoon cornstarch (Maizena)
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup soy sauce
¼ cup white vinegar
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
about 500 grams boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into small pieces
2 peppers (any colour), seeded and diced
½ pound green beans, trimmed and halved
5 spring onions thinly sliced
1 tsp ginger (or you can use a piece of fresh minced ginger)
3 garlic cloves, minced (or u can use a tsp or 2 of chopped garlic)
2 Tablespoons roasted peanuts (almonds or pecan nuts)



And Then
1.                  Cook rice according to packet instructions and set aside
2.                  In small bowl, whisk together Maizena, sugar, soy sauce and vinegar and set aside
3.                  In a large wok, heat some oil on high heat. I like my oil to just start smoking a bit then I know that its really hot. Add the cubed chicken, peppers and green beans and cook. Make sure to stir so that it doesnt stick/burn. Once the veggies have softened, add the ginger and garlic and cook.
4.                  Keep stirring until the chicken has cooked through. (between 5 and and 10 minutes?)
5.                  Whisk the soy sauce combo again and add to wok. Stir frequently until the sauce has thickened. This step should not take long – about 3 minutes of stirring.
6.                  Remove from the heat and prepare to serve.

 

Serve on bed of rice and garnish with nuts. T doesn't like nuts so I saved the roasted goodies for my own dish. The dish is just as good sans nuts.



Some side notes:
  • The sweet and sour flavours in this dish are subtle, but just enough to excite the taste buds
  • Add mushrooms instead of chicken for a vegetarian option
  • A nutritious meal that's easy to prepare
  • For a healthier option, add less brown sugar and use brown rice instead of white


 Feel free to have more than one helping :)


I'm writing exams in the next week and doubt that I will be trying anything new...the dubious take outs and late night popcorn snacks with coffee are what will sustain me until the dreaded papers are over....It's just one week ;) I shall be back soon ;). Have a fab weekend and week everyone *chest bump*

2 comments:

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

Hi there, I am trying to get Secret Santa done - please send me an email with your postal address tandy(AT)tandysales.co.za Thanks :)

NuNuZa said...

Hey Tandy details sent via email :) :) :)